In the news
Getting the message out
Through its media campaign the CGA has raised awareness with the media and the public about grief: the impacts of the pandemic on grief; the need for investment to improve access to specialized grief services; and the misconception that investments in mental health flow through to grief services and programs.
The CGA has achieved hundreds of media stories referencing the CGA with a combined reach of over 40 million. Here are some highlights:
- Dr. Harvey Max Chochinov, Tasha Jory (May 24). National strategy needed to address grieving process 'distorted' by pandemic, coalition says. Interview with Marianne Klowack. CBC News
- Shelly Cory, Danielle Saj. A pandemic of grief. Hospital News.
- Shelly Cory (June 3). Grief supports advocates take their case to Ottawa. Winnipeg Free Press.
- Christina Frangou (July 15). The pandemic has disrupted death and mourning in ways we don’t yet understand. Maclean’s.
- Shelly Cory, A. Favaro (October 27). Few outlets for grief as COVID-19 death toll supasses 10,000 in Canada. Interview with Avis Favaro. CTV News
- Shelly Cory (October 27). Interview with Shelly Cory. CTV News.
- Naheed Dosani, Shelly Cory, Andrea Warnick (November 23). National grief strategy needed to help Canadians cope with loss due to COVID-19, group says. CBC News Toronto.
- Andrea Warnick (November 25). Don't put COVID-19 grief 'on the back burner,' says therapist calling for national strategy on mourning. Interview with Matt Galloway. CBC Radio: The Current.
- Maxxine Rattner, Marney Thompson, Andrea Warnick, Susan Cadell, Katherine Kortes-Miller, Christopher MacKinnon, Serena Lewis (December 22). There is no vaccine for grief. iPolitics (Also published in: Edmonton Journal, Vancouver Sun, Regina Leader Post, Hill Times).
- Andrea Warnick and Fred Nelson (December 18). Pandemic restrictions create barriers for grieving families, expects say. Global News.
- Andrea Warnick (January 11). Andrea Warnick joins Matt Gurney. CanadaTalks.
- Andrea Warnick (March 17). Ontario's pandemic of grief. TV Ontario.
- Maxxine Rattner. Expert reflects on loss and grief during the pandemic. CBC.
- Paul Adams. The pandemic has changed the grieving process. CTV News.
- Maxxine Rattner (April 13). Canadian Grief Alliance calling for immediate federal injection needed for grief services. Global News.
- Paul Adams. Advocate calls for funding for grieving Canadians. CTV News.
- Paul Adams (April 16). Group asks for more funding for grief counselling: "Canadians have been robbed of goodbyes". Halifax Examiner.